You can take your chances and try to park at local business lots, but your options are going to be limited. If I were you I wold go ahead and download the Pay by Phone app so you can take advantage of street parking. Look for the Pay by Phone signs for easy parking options. The app is meant to be seamless like Uber. Estimate how much time you will be there, pay in advance on your phone and leave when you are done. Need more time? You can add more time from where you are with your mobile using the app, no need to run to a meter from several streets away.
- Wing it like we did and just wander around spontaneously.
- Do your research and look up specific murals you want to see online using Wynwood’s website.
- Take a tour from the pros using TripAdvisor. If we had had time I would have opted for this option. There are some really fun tours here. I’ll be returning for the Urban Spirit Art Crawl next time! There are also a host of recommended tours on Wynwood’s website here.
- Lead your own tour using the Wynwood Tour Guide App. I haven’t used this one but it’s certainly worth trying. You can also grab a map of murals, restaurants, and businesses a the Wynwood Business Improvement District office for a self guided experience. (310 NW 26th St.
Miami, FL 33127)
- Avoid Noon. Shooting against the walls when the sun is directly overhead will not be flattering for you, nor will it show the murals in their best light. Aim for earlier in the morning or sometime in the afternoon. The goal being to have constant light on the wall and your subject. We actually shot later than I intended. It was nearly eleven, but we were able to find several walls where the light was still good, and one or two that were actually covered.
- Consider your cropping. If you are shooting with a DSLR choose a lens with a wide angle. If you are shooting with a phone turn that baby sideways.
- Stop leaning on the wall. You will be in much better focus if you stand off the wall about three to four feet. This allows some depth in the image.
- Have fun. Stop being so serious folks. Get active, laugh, and show your personality. These murals are incredibly creative. Let’s see what you have up your sleeve!
If you are headed to the Wynwood Walls and found this blog helpful be sure to tag me in your images! Also, I’d love a shout out online or in my comments below. I welcome any other tips you might have that will make a visit more inspiring. Next time we’ll talk food.
Dress (I received my dress through Le Tote, but here is same brand similar) – Earrings (similar) – Necklace – Shoes – Glasses (similar) – Jacket (similar)
Copyright © Amy West Travel. All rights reserved. Photography by Journey Productions Media.